If you’re planning a visit to Santa Fe, NM, here’s some things to do, along with my favourite eateries!
1. Walk Canyon Road. (http://visitcanyonroad.com/ and http://www.canyonroadarts.com/)Lots of art galleries, including an amazing fantasy art gallery called the Chalk Farm Gallery (visit Chalk Farm Gallery website here). Also check out the dynamic Poeh Museum and Cultural Center a short drive away. http://poehcenter.org/
2. Tinkertown–maybe a bit cheesy, but I still like it. http://tinkertown.com/
3. Museum Hill and Cafe (Museum of Indian Art & Culture/Wheelwright Museum of the American Indian/Museum of Spanish Colonial Art/Museum of International Folk Art) http://www.historicplazahotelsantafe.com/museum-hill-santa-fe.aspx
4. Ten Thousand Waves: a Japanese-style luxury spa near downtown Santa Fe http://www.tenthousandwaves.com/
5. The Railyard (Santa Fe): Live music, shopping, galleries/art walks, farmer’s market, and where the RailRunner Express to Albuquerque departs/arrives. http://www.railyardsantafe.com/ Check out the history museum downtown as well. http://www.nmhistorymuseum.org/
7. Take a drive to Cerrillos and Madrid–lots of art galleries, shops, and hikes. Madrid: http://www.visitmadridnm.com/ Cerrillos: http://www.turquoisetrail.org/stops/category/cerrillos/
9. Lots of outdoorsy stuff (hikes, camping, parks) in Los Alamos, and visit the Bandelier National Monument and the Los Alamos History Museum while there. [The (infamous?) Los Alamos Laboratories are located here.] http://www.visitlosalamos.org/.
10. Take a trip to Taos and stay in the legendary Mabel Dodge Luhan House (http://www.mabeldodgeluhan.com/). Lots of history and culture to discover (Taos Pueblo tours, and La Hacienda de los Martinez historic site, and Kit Carson Museum), as well as shopping, art, hikes, and many other art and history museums. http://taos.org/
Some of my favourite eateries!
Flying Tortilla: http://www.flyingtortilla.com/
Zia Diner: http://www.ziadiner.com/
Tecolate Cafe (re-opening soon): http://tecolotecafe.com/
Rancho de Chimayo: http://www.ranchodechimayo.com/
Other Recommendations from Local Residents:
Burt’s (Bert’s?) Burger Bowl (no website found 😦 but they have green chili burgers AND veggie burgers!)
New York Deli: http://www.newyorkdelisantafe.com/
The Shed: http://www.sfshed.com/home.html
The Plaza Cafe: http://www.thefamousplazacafe.com/
La Choza: http://www.lachozasf.com/
La Casa Sena and La Cantina (talented singing waiters bringing you Broadway, Jazz, and more, in La Cantina): http://www.lacasasena.com/cantina-home